Wednesday, January 24, 2007

I love puppys!

I had the privilege today of puppy sitting! Our Thrift Store manager breeds Chihuahuas and has been bringing the puppy to work. I of course have been helping her out with looking after the puppy! She actually wants me to have the dog, especially since I have been spoiling the puppy left, right and centre!

Jeff does not understand why anyone would want a dog. They pee on the floor, smell bad, lick your face and can't be left at home alone! He prefers cats. I on the other hand would have any animal I could get my hands on... including a dog!

So for the past couple weeks I have had my manager pretty much begging me to take the puppy, and Jeff saying don't you dare! I am very much conflicted by this! On the one hand, I love the puppy. She is the cutest little thing you have ever seen. I have always wanted a chihuahua so that I can dress it (you actually HAVE to do this in the winter... they lose to much heat) and carry it around with me where ever I go. On the other hand, I agree with Jeff about one thing... they need a lot of attention. We travel a fair amount and the dog wouldn't be able to go with us so we would have to find a sitter for it. While we are here in High River our Store manager would take the dog. But what happens when we move from here? Will we be able to find someone? Our Cats are easy because we can leave for a few days without even worrying about them.

All of this made me think. People say that a dog is like a child. They are very dependant. If I feel that a dog would be too much work, that you have to find "puppy sitters" all the time and they make a mess, then what am I going to do with a kid!! I know that obviously a child is a lot different then a dog, but if I can't handle a mere puppy, can I handle a child?

I guess it made me think about how much a child changes your life. I have wanted children for as long as I can remember and I have thought about all the wonderful things that a child brings to your life, but I haven't fully thought of the challenges. Jeff and I are very use to living a carefree life. We are use to being able to take off at any time of the night for a drive or for a late night snack. We can decide at a moments notice to go camping, or take a trip somewhere. A child will change all that. It will also change our relationship. I am sure for the better, but there will be tough times too.

So I really don't have a point in this post, other then to say to the mothers and fathers out there... how on earth do you do it?

Shannon

4 comments:

Christina said...

We just got a puppy, and I will tell you honestly, I would rather have a baby. Don’t get me wrong, I love that puppy dearly, but he requires as much attention as a baby, but you can’t take him anywhere! Babies are welcome in church and at the mall!!!

There is a saying that goes something like "anyone can become a father but being a dad takes someone special". I think that this is true. Parenting is definitely a choice. Becoming a parent does not mean having a baby. I am still becoming a parent, and my kids are going to be 9 and 10! It is a growth experience. It changes your life drastically, for sure; I won’t lie about that. But I’m not sure that’s a bad thing. From being a mom, I have learned what unconditional love is. I have learned that I am not the only person in my universe. I have learned how to live as though this moment needs to last forever. I have learned the importance of being who God made me to be. My life changed tremendously, but it didn’t happen overnight. Yes, at first you will notice things like having to go to bed at a certain time every night, not being comfortable in adult-type restaurants and fatigue, but the good changes so far outweighs those. I can honestly say that I have never regretted having kids. Even though the timing of each of them was not ideal, God has used them to so richly bless Steve and me that we can’t have any regrets about that at all.

When I was a teenager, I had kids that I babysat for all the time. I loved those kids dearly. I taught Sunday School and led brownies. I loved those kids too. I was a counsellor at day camp and loved those kids. When I grew up, I only wanted to be a mom. I just loved kids so much.

In comparison, I never knew what love was until the first time I looked at Joshua’s face. The knowledge that he was a part of me and Steve just completely overcame me with a joy that words can’t express.

As you know, Steve and I have never really had it easy in a lot of ways, but I will tell you that our marriage, friendship, love and respect for each other has only increased because of our having children.

Oh, and we still go camping…we took Joshua when he was seven months old! We had to bring some extra stuff, but it’s not as bad as it seems! We drove to Newfoundland (3 day drive) with a five-month-old and an eighteen-month-old in July without air conditioning. We take them to church, restaurants, theatres, malls, friends’ houses. We have not allowed having kids get in the way of our enjoying life; we have simply included them, and enjoyed it all the more since they have been a part of it.

I don’t want this reply to depress you, Shannon, because I can only imagine how your heart must ache to have a child. I simply want you to know that God has equipped you with everything you need to be a mom. (You will still need to go to Him to get that equipment to work!) I so want you and Jeff to have this dimension added to your relationship and will continue to pray for both of you.

As I said, you have not yet explored all of your options, so don’t give up! I know that this has been a long road for you and it seems like it won’t end. There a hundreds of couple who have walked this road too, your parents being one of them. You aren’t alone. Keep praying.

…and until the day happens, live your life to the full in what God is placing in your life today! Life does not begin when parenting does! It’s happening NOW! He wants to bless you and be close to you, even if His answer to your prayers about having a child is “wait”. You don’t know what He has in store for you and Jeff, but you know it will be good and that He will walk with you through everything!

We love you.

Christina

Christina said...

ok...

so my reply was longer than your post...

:P

The Mailman's Wife said...

Morning Shannon!
I love puppies too! However I was told as well that they are like kids (worse sometimes). I have no doubt in my mind that you will handle the changes and handle them well. I know it is hard now for Mike and I but with everything your life will just seem to fit into what the Lord has asked of you. I no longer miss being able to pick up and leave whenever we want too and you won't either when God blesses you with your much awaited baby. I keep thinking that I want another baby but Mike often reminds me that I shouldn't have a baby just to have a BABY because they will grow up! LOL! I have come to realize that I will not be a mother of a BABY long but I will be a mother for life. So will you Shannon and when that time comes God will equip you in every way possible. His timing is perfect no matter how much WE think it sucks! Doesn't make things easier I know but when the time comes you WILL be ready in every which way! I love you!!! XOXO! Lady.

Unknown said...

Hi,
I don't know what God has planned for you. I hope that your one heart's prayer will be answered. And that if it is His Will that it will happen sooner than later. It's so hard to do what we have to do and to trust God at the same time. A puppy is very different than a baby. Once a baby is in your family a normal person will want to change their routine to accomodate the new one. It's a learning process. A puppy is an animal which means that there are similar but different responsiblities that come with each choice. Hang in there. Keep with the updates.