Saturday, April 14, 2007

"The Infertility Companion"

So the above mentioned title belongs to a book I am in the process of reading. It is a christian book on infertility and it has been great so far. I was surprised to see such a thing when I went to the christian book store on Tuesday. It was written by a christian lady who struggled with infertility her whole life (she never did have kids) and her doctor, who happens to be a christian man. So you get two perspectives which is great.

I will probably be sharing several excerpts from this book in the next few days or weeks, but I came across this today and I wanted to share it with you.

"Is there a scientific link between fertility and prayer? It would appear so. Researchers in one study discovered that women at an IVF clinic had higher pregnancy rates when, unknown to the patients, total strangers prayed for their success. In the study, researchers found that of the 199 women involved, those who were prayed for became pregnant twice as often as those who were not the focus of prayer. The researchers said they initially hesitated to report their findings but ultimately decided the information was too significant to suppress. None of the patients knew about the study nor did the medical staff caring for them.

While the data is too preliminary for us to be dogmatic, it certainly supports asking your friends, family, and church members to pray for you. And, of course, continue to pray for yourself. It not only deepens your relationship with God; it has the added benefit of improving your brain health and function."

Keep praying everyone!

Shannon

3 comments:

Amanda said...

Hi Shannon. I was reading your blog on Saturday morning and I started to wept for you. At that moment I committed to keeping you at the top of my prayer list. Peter and I are planning to have children when we get our first appointment, just as you had planned, and I thought about what it would be like to go through what you are going through. I can't say that I understand because I don't, but my heart has definatly be thinking about you a lot. You will definatly be covered in prayer! Keep looking up!

Shannon said...

Thanks so much Amanda! We need as much prayer as possible!

Anonymous said...

Shannon,
Just remember that if all else fails, I would still love to be a surrogate for you and Jeff. Our prayers are with you.

Breian