Friday, March 13, 2009

Finally... an UPDATE!

Wow, it has been a long time since I've written on here. As you probably figured out, after my last post I was pretty discouraged and because of that lost all will to update. Well, a lot has happened since September so let me fill you in (this will be long!).

Jeff and I did see the doctor eventually (in January) after deciding that IVF would definitely be out for us. We went wanting to discuss another option... IUI. IUI is a much cheaper procedure (about 400 bucks a month) but it is not nearly as successful. With IVF we had about an 80% chance of getting pregnant... with the IUI our chances only go up to 5 % (from the 1% chance we have now without treatment). The doctor was not so pleased that we wanted to go this route (I'm not so pleased with him actually but oh well!) but gave in and told us we could do three rounds. So he wrote us out the prescription for Clomid and told us we could start with my next cycle.

Well, February 1st was the beginning of my next cycle, so I called in to let them know that I would be doing a round of IUI that month. A couple days later I get a call saying that they missed a blood test (rubella immunity) on me and that I needed to go and have it done before I could do the IUI. I asked whether I should still take the clomid, and they said yes, go ahead. I had the blood test done that day.

5 days later (after I had taken all my clomid) I get a call saying that the blood test came back negative and that I was not immune to rubella (even though my mom is pretty sure I was vaccinated when I was child). I was devastated. I had just taken my last "crazy" pill ($60), had just paid for the administration part of the IUI ($75) and now I find out I have to cancel the cycle!! They told me that I had to go right away and get vaccinated for Rubella and I couldn't get pregnant until 4 weeks after the shot. Actually it was kind of funny... they told me to use birth control as well so I wouldn't get pregnant that month. HA!! Like that would happen!

Because I can't get pregnant for four weeks after the shot, this cycle was out for IUI as well. So, next month we will try the process again and see what happens. To tell you the truth I'm not all that hopeful about it... but am willing to give it a try just in case.

Now, the other big development that has happened since September is that we have decided that we will apply to adopt a child through social services!! We are sooooo excited about it! Jeff was actually the one to bring it up (on the way back from our doctors appointment in January) and I was the one that was more against it... kind of a reversal from a few years ago! The last couple months though, the more I thought of it, the more it seemed that this was the plan God had for our lives... even if we have biological children. It just began to feel right.

Well, last Wednesday we went to an adoption information meeting in Calgary to see what it would involve. We came out of there feeling positive that this was what we needed to do. We both just felt a peace about it. Jeff actually came out saying that there was no way we couldn't do it!

The problem with this plan to adopt is that there is a high probability that we will be moving this year or next year. Because of that we can't apply while we are here in High River. We have decided that whenever we move we will begin the application process right away. I get so excited thinking about it!

Jeff and I have also decided (and this may change as time goes on) that we would like to apply for a child between the ages of 0-5. We are also willing to adopt a sibling group and children with some physical disabilities (blind, deaf, missing limbs etc.) but not mental disabilities. I just can't make a conscience decision to take on a child that may need to be dependant on us for the rest of our lives. Saying that, if God chooses that child for us we will love them completely and face the challenges, but right now I can't knowingly take that on.

So, there it is... our update! I want to thank you all for praying for us and helping us through this emotional roller coaster. I know we are still on it, but I feel like we are rounding the last bend.

Please keep praying for us!

Shannon

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so happy for you two! It has truly been an amazing journey, and the best is yet to come. I am really excited with the way that God is bringing you through such an amazing process of growth, His provision is so much greater than the problem!

With a social service adoption can an individual choose you as the parents still? eg. If a girl is pregnant and knows that the child will be taken at birth, can she sign that child over to the parents of her choosing?

Shannon said...

hmmm... not sure about that. Will have to ask when we start the application process.

Christina said...

Nice to read your thoughts again! I have missed reading your newsy posts!

So happy for you that God has given you such a peace, even excitement about adoption!

To me, adoption is the perfect picture of what God has done for each one of us. It's such a natural transfer to see that kind of unconditional love in a family.

We were just talking this morning at church to a couple (officers) who have recently adopted siblings, two boys and a girl. Maybe God has that kind of multiple blessing in store for you too!

I can't think of more deserving people to be parents! You would be SO great!

Who knows, you may start the adoption process and find out mid-way you're also pregnant! God's done stranger things!

...and it would be nice to have some nieces and nephews to spoil rotten! I have always wanted to be an auntie!!!

Love you tons and praying BIG blessings on you!

The Mailman's Wife said...

I love you!!! Thanks for the update!!